Portarlington GAA Club

Home » Uncategorized » Port Seniors into Semi-Finals

Port Seniors into Semi-Finals

Laois SFC Quarter Final;

Port 3-10 Arles Kileen 0-13

Port entered the penultimate stage of this years senior football championship after overcoming Arles-Kileen once again last night. This was the third meeting of the teams in this years championship with Port overcoming their opponents in emphatic style in extra time of their replayed first round clash earlier in the season.

Played in tricky wet conditions Arles adapted early on to the conditions and refereeing style of John Flynn and were 4 points up in as many minutes, indiscipline cost Port with a number of frees being brought forward by the Refereee early on. At this stage Port were finding it hard to get out of their own half with Kileen dominating the kickout.

Kevin McGrath got Port’s first score of the day on 7 mins. Arles through Jason Enright and Paul Kingston went a further 2 ahead but on the 14 minute mark Port came right back into the game through a well worked goal, Colm Murphy won a loose ball 30 yards out from goal offloading to brother David who blasted the ball to the net from 14 yards out leaving the score 0-6 to 1-1.

Arles then cancelled out Murphy’s major through points from Shane Julian, Jason Enright and Donie Kingston, before Evan Lyons replied with a pointed free. Arles continued to pressurise the Port defense with Brian McAuley stemming the tide with a fine goal bound save. Arles then tagged on two late points through Kingston and Enright leaving the score at 0-11 to 1-2 at half time reflecting Arles dominance of the half.

Port started the second half brightly with 3 points in as many minutes from Colm and David Murphy (2) to leave three in it. Then came the first pivotal moment of the game, Kileen’s talisman Donie Kingston received his marching orders with a straight red after the referee consulted with the linesman over an off the ball incident on the 40 minute.

Port were now in the ascendancy, with Kingstons sending off and the earlier withdrawal through injury of Shane Julian giving them the lions share of primary possession which created the platform for them to pin Kileen back while setting up scoring opportunities for Johnny Fulham, Paddy O’Sullivan and Colm Murphy that left the game in the balance at 1-9 to 0-12 with 10 minutes remaining.

The second pivotal point arrived with the introduction of Jordan Fitzpatrick 45 minutes into the second half, in the 53rd minute – with his first touch of the game, he collected the ball out wide on the right wing, running directly at the now ragged Arles defense – evading three defenders before slotting low to the left past Michael Leigh. Paul Kingston replied at the other end to leave 2 in it only for Fitzpatrick to strike again 3 minutes later to leave the score at 3-8 to 0-13. From there Port finished out the game with a late Evan Lyons score giving Port a 6 point victory.

After the game the draw for the Semi-Finals took place in O’Moore Park with Port entering the hat with last years finalists Portlaoise who had earlier beaten parish rivals O’Dempseys 0-15 to 1-4, Carlow border side, Graiguecullen who accounted for St Joseph’s Friday evening 0-11 to 2-04, and Division 1B champions Ballylinan who in the last game of the day defeated Killeshin 3-8 to 1-5.

The draw is as follows

  • Portarlington Vs Ballylinan, Sunday 1st October 3:30pm Throw in, O’Moore Park
  • Portlaoise Vs Graiguecullen Sunday 1st October 2:00pm Throw in, O’Moore Park

Dates and times to be confirmed later this week


Scorers: Jordan Fitzpatrick 2-0, David Murphy 1-2, Evan Lyons 0-3 (frees), Colm Murphy 0-2 (frees), Paddy O’Sullivan, Jonny Fullam, Kevin McGrath 0-1 each.

Team: Brian McAuley; Hayden Weldon, Graham Weldon, Diarmuid Bennett; Eoin Kennedy, Patrick O’Sullivan, Jonathon Fullam; Robert Pigott, Cathal Ryan; Jason Moore, Colm Murphy, Kevin McGrath; Jake Foster, David Murphy, Evan Lyons. Subs: Jordan Fitzpatrick for Foster (45 mins)


Scorers: Jason Enright 0-5 (0-4 frees), Donie Kingston 0-4 (0-3 frees), Paul Kingston 0-2 (0-1 free), Sean O’Shea, Shane Julian 0-1 each.

Team: Mick Leigh; Brian Kennedy, Joe Mulhare, James Mahon; Niall O’Rourke, Enda O’Rourke, John Mahon; Donie Kingston, Conor Keightley; Sean O’Shea, Paul Kingston, Shane Julian; Donie Brennan, Jason Enright, Dermot Julian. Subs: Joe Mahon for D Julian (26 mins), Ger McWey for S Julian (36 mins, inj), Enda McDonald for Kennedy (45 mins, BC)

Congratulations to the Senior Panel and Mentors on a hard fought win and best of luck from all at the club for the rest of the championship.

Click through logos below for Match Reports from the Leinster Express and Laois Today


Laois today

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: